Pages

Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Phenomenal!

Reading the papers again. It's my last shift for a few days, and I set it up so my work load's a little lighter, so I have a bit of time. *thumbs up*
Most of the articles I've read and did the "Super Cliff's Notes Version" on Twitter (@MCurlyH). Explain a whole article in 140 characters or less?
Done.
Before I touch on the touchy stuff, I'd like to give a nod to a fellow Canadian. *braces for following beatings* Here's to *pauses* *whincing* Justin Bieber. Yeah you're young and newish to the entertainment industry, but I find myself needing to give you recognition for not ending or cutting short a show because of illness.
Before y'all stop reading, I promise there'll be more on other stuff, but seriously here. He vomitted twice on stage, but still powered through his show.
Now I've thrown up and continued when others would be like "Waah! I'm sicky. I need to go home," but nothing to this extent. This sort of industry is something I've never done to that scale. I've done shows sick - so sick I got told (by the director) to leave and get better. But something as large scale as that; that deserves recognition.
Good job.
Ok, on to more pressing things shall we?
Jesse - now a year and two moths - is getting better. "Who is this 'Jesse'?" you may ask. He's just some kid I read about in the paper.
At 10 months he fell in a backyard garden pond, and nearly drown. He was a real mess and was thought to never be able to recover. He couldn't swallow, see, much less move, or talk. Ok, maybe "talk" is the wrong terminology. "Use his vocal chords," fits better.
One of the family friends read about the incident in the paper and immediately called them with a suggestion to help him recover some. Something that isn't medically proven, but someone else had done and it seriously helped. The use of a hyperbaric chamber.
He's suffering from ischemic hypoxia. Now , four months down the road, doctors are astounded. They don't believe Jesse to be the same child they've been treating. He can see, he can make noise, his dystonia's been cured, he can swallow. He's getting better.
Unfortunately OHIP doesn't cover use of the hyperbaric chamber for such uses. Doctors say that there's no medical proof it works, and he may just be healing because of his age.
But you have to hand it to his mom; an hour a day in a pressurized, oxygenated atmosphere, out of her own pocket, five days a week. That's a TON of money out of pocket, and surreal dedication.
Not only that, they need to cab from the care facility to the place that ALLOWS the "off book" use of the chamber. Expensive stuff.
They're suggesting that surrounding him in an 100% oxygen atmosphere at about 5 meters below sea level can jog his idling brain cells back into drive, so to speak.
As long as there's some sort of progress, I don't see an issue with the idea. Perhaps SOME medical team could start monitoring his progress. Maybe that'll dispel any other medical authorities playing the, "That'll never work," card, and get OHIP coverage on it for anyone else who may need the treatment.
There can't possibly be only ONE almost drown person out there.
Sent wirelessly from my BlackBerry device on the Bell network.







No comments: