Pages

Saturday, October 30, 2010

A quick rant about music...

I was just driving miss Ashley to work, and something caught my ear in the music I listen to. I enjoy when artists make each song their own.
Now I don't mean that as in, "No one else sings it," or "If it's a remake, they change EVERYthing about it." How I mean is that they add their own flavour, or their own personality to it. They almost... feel an attachment to it while singing, and let it be known. D'you know what I mean?

For instance, when you can hear their emotion in their voices, or when they sing about something and you can tell it's really close to home for them. Even when it's something fun, and they laugh a little.

Examples, examples... Umm, Luke Bryan's 'Rain is a Good Thing'. When he gets to the last chorus, you can tell he's really into it, and is having fun. So much fun that... he laugh's instead of usued the words that've been there the entire rest of the song. The only other one (off the top of my head) is Taylor Swift's - I know, "What?! You listen to Taylor Swift?!" Talent's talent, what can I say? - 'Speak Now'. You can tell she had fun with it. Not that she doesn't have fun with all her music, and CLEARLY it's not s true thing she's singing about, but he little giggle near the end's priceless.
Yes, I know in both these cases (and all others) they do a million takes, and pick the right one. But hey, a change can be made with ONE slip up. If you sing through a section enough times, and you enjoy it, the slip ups don't usually involve an "Oh S#*! I messed up." They can have a few, but never in bad spirits. And I'm not saying they COULDn't make it through the song, just after a few takes, and one cute slip up after a day of recording; the editors realized, "You know, that sounds good that way."

Now not everyone can do the laugh thing. A perfect example being Pitbull, in 'I Know You Want Me'. I love the song, but I hate the opening, with the clearly obvious fake laugh. It hurts me...

A few gooders, are 'Anything Like Me' by Brad Paisley (I'll admit it makes me tear up); 'F U' by Cee Lo Green, not for the faint of heart as the non-radio edit is the F-bomb, and; 'Stutter' is a good one too, by Maroon 5.
If you haven't heard of some of these tracks before, please check 'em out. They're good enough to mention. Taylor Swift, Maroon 5 (on their first and last album), and Brad Paisley are - 9 times out of 10 - a good listen too.
Check them out!

No comments: